Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Camper Letter - MUST READ



At every NBC Camp, one of the things the campers are encouraged to do is write a letter to someone who has had influence and impact on their lives. It can be a parent, friend, teacher, coach, grandparent - whomever has had impact. The campers have the option of letting the staff read the letter and, as difficult as it is, they choose one of the letters to share with the other campers as an example of Insight.

This year at NBC Rocklin, Victor Sutherland wrote a letter to his Dad and, with his permission, we would like to share it with you, as he wrote it.
"Dad,
When you came into the family you made a impact right away. Most kids don't get to choose their family, but Omar and I did. When mom started dating you she asked us for the okay and I know their was no doubt how much you loved us so I said yes. Right away you cared for us, provided for us, but more importantly, you loved us. You were not only my dad but my best friend.

That's why it hurt so bad to answer the door to only find out you had a one-way ticket to Iraq. But I didn't cry because I knew, and still know you are with me and the family. And above all you were in a better place, where there is no war, only love. That's one of the things you know how to give a 100%. Everyone that met you has changed...I know I have.

And so I wanna say thank you & sorry. Sorry for taking advantage of your great love and not saying that I love you enough. I know parents love to hear it. And thank you...for being my friend...my father...and paying the ultimate sacrifice so we wouldn't have to.

Love,
Victor E. Sutherland

Victor's attitude, leadership and life epitomize what we strive to develop in young men and women at NBC.

Victor's Dad is very proud of him, of that we are sure.

No comments: